Today has been pretty busy.
We spent time down on the property with Sonny and Mama, and they just continue to amaze me by how they are coming on. Sonny is an escape artist, he doesn't want to do his business in the outdoor run, he sneakily pushes where we have the door bungeed to the dog run gate (so's they can run in and out) and lets himself out into the unfenced area. He runs to a particular spot and then, after doing what he needs to, comes running back acting all silly and happy. The first time, I was thinking he was going to run off, but he has def bonded well with us and comes straight back.
Mama just likes to follow Mark out of the door when he's not looking. She, too, is such a happy girl now, it's smashing seeing the change in them. Today they were playing with each other, rolling around, friendly growls, it was so good to see, they were so serious those first few days.
We ordered another dog run today, for delivery Monday, and then we'll be able to pick up Lady Lou from the shelter on Tuesday. We were supposed to get her 2 weeks ago, but when the other 2 destroyed a lot of our insulation in the barn, we had to slow down so that Mark could do some repairing and we could get better organised.
We'll also be stopping at Goodwill on Monday. I'll be looking for more blankets and pet beds, as we only have 2 beds and 5 blankets, and that's not even really enough for changing out Mama and Sonny's. I'm also wanting to get a hard paddling pool for washing the blankets (and dogs!). This weather, I can wash, drain, rinse, and hang over the outdoor fence panels to dry! No need to take them home every time, to do.
My Tiger melons are very prolific, we've already eaten a few and there are plenty more growing on the vine. I scooped the seeds from the ones we've enjoyed, soaked them for a couple of days to loosen the attached pulp, removed the floaters (hollow seeds which won't grow) drained the rest, and now have 3 trays drying on paper towels in the spare room for the next few days.
I'm trying to plan my Autumn plantings, so that I can start some seedlings off ready to plant out, and have Mark plough me an area in front of the orchard, for now. Close enough to the barn and where the water hose will reach!
Our security cameras have caught a few visitors stopping by.
I've asked the shelter if I trap the cats will they be willing to spay/neuter and vet for me. I'll continue feeding them, I don't mind a feral colony, I just don't want one that reproduces every few months. I'm a big TNR fan.
Our night time visitors include this little possum. He/she was a surprise!
The grey tabby cat comes at night. Both seem young by their shape.
What a menagerie we have. Sometimes we catch a deer on our other cameras, a young doe. We haven't seen any hogs in a few months, so maybe someone got them on one of the other properties they roam on.
Definitely blessed to have them all stopping by. It's my retreat and seems to be theirs as well.




No comments:
Post a Comment