Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

My Friends Find It Funny

Most people who've known me for a while know I have dogs ... and my friends, who've known me for years, also know I'm SCARED of dogs! Quite a paradox. Other people's dogs tend to bite me - even those whose owners say they don't bite. One even ran off leaving her dog hanging off my arm, way back in the 90s. I've always got "my" dogs as puppies, so that they grow with me and I grow with them.

Many moons ago, when Angel was just a puppy I took

her to the vet for a puppy check, and shots. She was "talking back" and the vet said I needed to nip it in the bud or I'd have a big problem. I was terrified she was going to grow up and attack me. Then, ne day I saw a lady with a Husky, and her dog was doing the same, and when I said that to her she asked if I had a Husky. I told her Andel was German Shepherd/Husky mix, and she said "oh yeah, she'll talk, it's that Husky in her". A vet had made me scared of a puppy growing up, over a perfectly natural behaviour. Mind you, she was a pain in the butt and VERY wilful, she was a daddy's girl, thoroughly spoiled and a total comedian with me. But much loved. She was 14 when we said goodbye.

So, now we have these 3 boys, Brunel, Lightning (also answers to Bug) and the great-grandpuppy, Rover. They love lying around outside, or - as now - lying on the bed as I write this and hubby plays his game. 
They have it made, and 2 humans a their constant beck and call.
And Rover, definitely a nanny's boy, has his special spot with me. He is such a love.


Then, we now have ex-semi-feral turned loverboy, Sonny, who has changed so much in the almsot 3 weeks we've had him. He jumps on my thigh and snuggles his head against my chest. Very weird is that he's an adult dog, and I've not been afraid of him. I even tell him that.
And Mama is the same, now comes up for lovings and is getting almost puppy playful, so different from the serious mama stray that I'd spent weeks trying to get close to. As horrible as it sounds, I think getting trapped and ending up in the shelter for those few days terrified her so much that, when we showed up to get her, at least we were a familiar face. She knew we'd fed her before, she knew our land was safe for her, and so - although it took her a couple of days to decompress - she knew things would be ok eventually. I'm just surprised it happened so quickly.

I can't wait until the vet oks us taking Miss Little Bit

over to see her mama and (we're pretty certain) dad. Her next shots are next week, and he said after that it will be ok. Just because of everything she's been through, to make sure she's good beforehand.

Tomorrow (unless something happens) the new 10' x 10' x 6' dog kennel is getting delivered in the morning, and then Mark will put it together, ready for Thursday when we go to the shelter to pick up Lady Lou, the other female picked up by Animal Control at the same place as Sonny and Mama.

Then, it'll be a matter of helping her decompress and settle in. Mama and Sonny run around while we do stuff, and come when called, so I'm hoping they'll relay to her that she's safe.

Then, our next thing will be getting Little Bit spayed, and then trapping and vetting/spaying the 2 stray cats. Hopefully, they'll all live happily ever after at The Retreat On The Creek.







 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment