Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2026

A Very Good Weekend!

Despite the rain, it has turned out to be a very good weekend.

Hubby moved the one pen into the new goat area, and put it back up. We need to buy a new tarp to cover it, to protect the goats when it rains, but hopefully we'll have it all set up how we want it so that the boys can move into it by next weekend. They were in and out of it while he was putting it together. Once we move them into this enclosure, we'll move their original pen in their original field, and set it up again, ready to move the girls over into that field. That'll give me chance to bleach and scrub the pallet bed and let it air dry before we put everything back in the pen, for them.

Then today, his helper, Levi, came for a couple of hours and they put up the final side of the fencing, so that enclosure is complete. It rained a little at first, and I told them to take cover, but Levi said he was ok and they worked through it. He is a blessing, he and Mark work well together.

Yesterday was good with mama and the puppies, and I gave them their Capstar but today they didn't show, so I prepared their food and just put wormer in it. Trying to keep them as healthy as possible since we've not been able to catch them and get them to the vet yet.

The little boy was the worst but I'm hoping the Capstar is making him a little more comfortable. His chest was so sore and red. He sits and watches me sometimes, just out of reach, like he knows I can't get him, yet he's fine running to me for the food when he sees me out there prepping it! 
The puppies are getting so big now ... I guess I must be feeding them well!

I still have the gofundme up for help with their care and vetting costs so that we can get them took care of and the puppies adopted.

The link is:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-little-bit-stray-dogs-get-medical-care Any and all donations are much appreciated, as this whole effort has proven to be way more expensive that I ever imagined. That said, I have to do this, these babies deserve a good home and mama and her sister/older daughter deserve to be safe on my property but not have to be pregnant again. God gave us this land, and with it comes great responsibilty, some of which is to care for the strays that come onto it. Be they dogs or cats, we've had a few felines that we've fed as well.

I had a lovely surprise yesterday when I checked my melon plants ... I saw a baby melon!

When Mark went to put the support under it, he found another 2, so I have 3 so far ... and still lots of flowers on it so maybe a bumper harvest. I hope so. It's hard to see, but if you look above the 3rd leaf on the right front, you can see a tiny round mass that's a slightly different green mottled. That's the one that I saw. The ones Mark found are hidden under the leaves.

We also shared our first peach yesterday. It was very nice! It wasn't on one of the trees we've planted ... we found the tree over near the woods at the back over by the 2 junk buildings that were left on the property. The poor thing has been neglected, but this year it will get pruned properly and given some TLC. There is so much junk, over around that area, that we still haven't managed to clear. We have to wait for the grass to die down so that Mark can mow in there and not run the risk of damaging the mower or tractor.

He's in demand at the American Legion, and is going there on Wednesday to help them do some plumbing. Most of the members are in their 80s, it's kind of odd that he's the 3rd youngest ... the youngest being 59. It's a pity more younger veterans and military don't join. I'm glad he's meeting new people though, and feeling needed.

All told, it's been a pretty good weekend, despite the on/off rain and storms.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment